The City of Tucson Silverbell Road Improvement Project
Ina Road to Grant Road
Welcome to the official Web site of the Silverbell Road Improvement Project. Here you will find information regarding current and past project activities, project documents and exhibits, upcoming public meetings, and project news. This site is updated frequently, however if you would like to receive email updates, please sign up below. You may also contact us with comments or questions.
Sliverbell Construction Update
The City of Tucson is gearing up for construction on the Silverbell Road: Goret Road to Grant Road Improvement Project. A pre-construction open house was held on Monday, June 15, 2015 to introduce the Tucson Department of Transportation Construction Manager, Joe Chase, and Hunter Contracting - the contractor for the project. Construction is scheduled to take approximately 16 months to complete. Listed below are initial work activities that you will see over the next few weeks:
- Establishing the contractors mobile office and equipment yard
- Salvaging cactus and trees that are in the roadway right-of-way:
- Cactus that is removed will be placed in a project nursery and replanted on the project as part of the landscaping plan.
- The salvaged trees will be replanted on Silverbell Road, south of the project area. In an effort to increase the survival rate of the salvaged trees they will be replanted as quickly as possible. Following the construction phase, new trees will be planted as part of the project's final improvements.
- Potholing along the roadway to confirm utility locations
The project team will be sending regular updates as design and construction continue. Please share this information with your neighbors and friends in the area and encourage them to visit our project website: silverbellroad.info for up-to-date information and to sign up for email updates.
This is a project of the Regional Transportation Authority. The voter-approved, $2.1 billion RTA plan will be implemented through 2026. Details about the full plan are available at www.RTAmobility.com. The Regional Transportation Authority has a nine-member board with representatives from local, state and tribal governments. This project is managed by The City of Tucson and the Regional Transportation Authority in conjunction with the Town of Marana and Pima County.
Design Concept Study – Silverbell Road, Grant Road to Ina Road
The Design Concept Study was completed in 2010. Click here to review the Design Concept Report. The new roadway will be a 4-lane divided desert parkway and will include a continuous multi-use path , bike lanes, drainage improvements, new native landscaping with water harvesting features, and enhanced wildlife crossings. This roadway is a critical regional transportation link that serves the west and northwest portions of the Tucson metropolitan area and will promote mobility and provide improved capacity and safety. Click here for the Project Fact Sheet.